A. Tensions arose from disagreements over western territories that wanted
to join the Union.
1. Free or Slave states
2. 1819 11 free & 11 slave states
B. The Missouri Compromise (1820)
1. Dec 1819 Missouri (part of Louisiana Purchase) sought admission
to the union as a slave state
2. Maine would enter at same time as free state.
3. 36 30 North of this line no slavery- south of this line slavery
C. Free Soil vs. Popular Sovereignty
1. Stephen Douglas (popular sov.) said voters had the right to choose if thier state would be free or slave.
2. Free Soil Party (1848) did not want to abolish slavery only to stop its expansion into new territories, but they did
not want any blacks in the new territories. They thought that by containing slavery it would eventually die out.
|The "little giant" Stephen Douglas
|Free Soil Campaign Poster