rise of Hitler
1. Born 1889 in Austria, was a poor student wanted to be an artist
Could not get into the Vienna
Academy of Fine Arts
By 1909 he was living in homeless shelters
and did whatever work he could
It was during this time that he developed
his deep resentment toward foreigners and Jews
2. When war broke out he immediately volunteered for the German army
He fought bravely and was promoted to Corporal, He also won the both the Iron Cross second class and first class.
He was wounded by a British gas attack
in the Ypres Salient. Which many suggest is why he did used Poison gases in WWII
3. Following the war Hitler remained in the army, one of
his duties was to spy on local political groups. One such group was the German Workers Party.
Hitler became interested and soon joined
Hitler's skills for publicity and as a
speaker saw him transform it into the Nazi Party.
he and the Nazi Party led an attempt to overthrow the Bavarian government, it failed
He was sentenced to nine months in prison
where he dictated his book Mein Kampf (My Struggle).
4. Upon his release he began to rebuild the Nazi party, he decided he
had to obtain power by democracy rather than by force.
5. He used the stock market crash and the subsequent worldwide great
depression to his advantage
Hitler used the situation to blame Jews
and Communists, using them as scapegoats to gain support for himself.
6. He became Chancellor in 1933
and President in 1934 and used the title Der Führer - leader.
7. During the 1930s he 'Nazified'
Germany, removing any potential opposition and establishing his ideas for a greater Germany.