A New way to govern
A. Jackson changed the tone of politics
1. Once in office he rewarded his supporters
by giving them government jobs, this became know as the spoils system
2. Replaced all public servants he believed
were unfaithful or incompetent
3. Jackson appointed people to office based
on qualifications not on political affiliation.
4. Jackson selected people from all walks
of life to serve under him not just the wealthy.
5. Jacksons belief in the peoples ability
to govern themselves is the major reason he is considered the peoples president.
Jacksons Indian Removal Policies
A. Many Indian tribes tried to adapt
to the white culture, they wrote constitutions based on that of the U.S. and created many systems to become part of
B. Americans desire for land soon
forced the Indians further west
C. By 1820's many gov't officials
called for removal of all American Indians to lands beyond the U.S. border
D. 1830 Congress passed and Jackson
approved the Indian Removal Act
1. Provided for relocation of Indian
Nations east of the Mississippi River to Indian territory in what is now Oklahoma.