Febuary 21, 1787-Congress called for delagates to meet
at a convention.
a. Purpose was to revise the Articles of Confederation
b. Characteristics of the "Articles"
1. No National Currency (each state had thier own money)
2. No power to tax the people (Had to rely on the voluntary
donations of the states)
3. No National Defense (each state had thier own militia)
4. No National court system to settle disputes between
5. Government had no power to enforce National Laws.
c. Delagates soon realized they needed to go beyond
the Articles of Confederation
d. May 25, 1787 Constitutional Convention opens in Philidelphia
Your assingnment: You need to find a copy of the Articles
of Confederations on the internet. You then need to read it. Once you have read it, you need to do the following.
a brief description of its history how it was created and who created it.
it works (president, congress, how laws are made etc..)
2. Then give a list of some of the problems, as well as reasons as
to why they felt it needed to be revised.
|Actual Articles of Confederation