1. January 1848, James Marshall finds gold at the bottom
of a canal used to divert water from the American River.
2. Word spread quickly and people from all over California
came to try thier luck on the American River.
3. By early 1849 hopeful gold seekers froma as far away
as Australia, China, and Europe flocked to California, these migrants were known as Forty-Niner.
4. By May 1849 over 40,000 people had made the overland
trek, other made the journey by boat cutting through Central America.
5. Most failed in gaining thier fortunes but the migration
made California a much more diverse place.