1. The trail was known by many names,It was called the Oregon
Trail, the California Trail, the Platte Trail, and the Mormon Trail by people who traveled it.
2. It was primarily an emigrant trail. However, the Oregon
Trail was also used by the Army, and stagecoaches and the Pony Express Route followed part of the trail.
4. The five to six month journey spanned over half the continent
as the wagon trail proceeded 2,170 mile.
5. The trail began in Independence, Kansas and ended in
Oregon City, but many settlers broke off and settle other suitable places along the trail.
6. In the 20 years from 1840-1859 some 52,000 emigrants
moved to Oregon, but nearly five times that number opted for California or Utah, over one tenth of the emigrants died on the